1. If you aren’t great with hair/ makeup and feel it would look better if done professionally, perhaps schedule your trial run for this day! And don’t waste it, after your amazing session with us be sure to enjoy a nice dinner out! 🙂
2. Spray on tans tend to look orange in photos so avoid these. If you want to put on a light layer, do it carefully and if you don’t have a favorite sunless tanner then I recommend you use: Jergens Natural Glow Instant Sun Sunless Tanning Mousse (found on Amazon). Be sure you test it out several weeks prior and take a few photos to see if you’re looking beautifully bronzed or Oompa Loompa orange. 🙂
3. Nails (and toes if they’ll be showing), do a day before so the polish will still look fresh without chipping! Lighter, more neutral tones so the ring is the central focus is a great plan!
4. Do bring; q-tips for under your eye mascara in case of smudges (on that note, avoid too much eye makeup, specifically heavy eye liner and mascara as it tends to make your eyes look squinty), lotion for dry areas that are exposed, chapstick (if you have dry lips, for the week or two ahead of time, consistently apply to make this less noticeable), bobby pins and hair ties in case you decide to change up your look, hair spray, brush, mirror, a compact and/ or blot strips to get rid of shine. Honestly, you know what your go-to items are when you want to look your best, so whatever those are for you, make a list the day before and be sure to pack ‘em in your bag!
5. Accessorize – necklaces, hats, jackets, scarves, extra shoes etc. really showcase your personal style and make the session even more uniquely yours.
6. The day before – have your clothing, accessories, props (these can include a sign with your date, a picnic set up, an “and” sign just to throw a few ideas out there) etc. ready to go for your session and properly plan to ensure you love the way you look. For example, I like my hair better if I shower at night. If you have certain preferences like this then make sure you’re mindful of those ahead of time.
7. Don’t apply shine/ glitter makeup and lotion as you run the risk of it photographing weird.
8. Nude bras under light tops. Black under dark tops.
9. More nuetral colors for lipstick often look better.
10. Shave the day before to avoid redness/ bumps.
11. Here at SB, we think dogs are one of the greatest things on this planet and they’re definitely family – we totally get you wanting to add their cuteness to your session. Be sure to tell us what kind of dog you have as that’ll help us out with pre-planning poses.
*Try to have a friend or family member with to take care of your pup(s) when you’re posing without them and some treats if they’re motivated by food so we can get the most adorable shots of your furry family member(s). 🙂
12. You’ll be moving around a lot and posing in so many different ways; keep this in mind and be careful with mini skirts as well as outfits that really show cleavage.
13. Avoid stripes and solid white. Textured white/ plaid/ other solid colors are great. Patterns that are too busy distract from you so keep this in mind. Wear colors that compliment each other. Pro tip: match a shade of accessories, socks, layers etc. with each other. *We recommend 1-2 outfits (some will have a third if it’s a Jersey or something along those lines). Many have one more casual then one more dressy but you know your style so if you want both more casual or a little more dressy, that is totally up to you! Feel free to take a photo of your outfits and send them to us if you need any help, that’s what we’re here for! Additionally, wear what you’re comfortable in! If it’s your favorite outfit then it’s probably a great choice for your engagement photos.
14. Some girls (and guys :)) actually take photos ahead of time to know they love their hair/ makeup/ smile/ outfits/ posing and that can only help you!
*Posing tips: Remember to keep your shoulders back and your chin slightly up. This helps you to maintain a flattering jawline. It feels silly, but I promise looks much better when you do this. Try your best to keep your body slightly turned, this will help you look slimmer than if you were standing straight on facing the camera. Tilt your shoulders toward the photographer, slightly dropped down and keep your hips at an angle. Keep your chin out and your arm gently pressed up against you (the more you push it against you, the less flattering it will be!)
15. Hair cuts, colors, and new styles – to avoid any “oops” moments the day before, be sure you do these a week or so ahead of time. Same for eyebrow waxes etc. Just ask yourself what grooming you need to do to look your best and do it well before the day of your shoot.
16. If you have a Pinterest then we’d really love to incorporate your ideas! Not a fan of pinning? No worries at all, we’ll tell you exactly what to do and cover many poses so you’re sure to have a ton of favorites!
17. Drink lots of water. Just in general, drinking a lot of water is so good for many reasons, including making your skin look great!
18. Don’t pick at facial blemishes, leave ‘em (or you will make them worse!) and we’ll edit them out of your faves.
19. Location. Location. Location. We shoot a lot of amazing couples so we have many beautiful sceneries to share with you! These will help you better envision your session with us! https://www.sbphotoanddesign.com/engagement-snapshots/
*If you have a park or somewhere with great scenery that is sentimental to you as a couple then we can absolutely do a spot of your choosing if you prefer!
Lastly, if you’ve watched our engagement session video then you know that we’ve got this so just relax and enjoy your session with us! 🙂